Tuesday, June 9, 2015

My Opinion on Sonic Boom: Fire and Ice

























It is 3 in the morning. I could be talking about stuff I wanted to talk about like DC's new direction for Superman, Convergence: Blue Beetle, or Justice League: Gods and Monsters Chronicles. But no, I decided to talk about Sonic. So a bit earlier today news of a third game in the "Sonic Boom" series came out, and for the record I'm not as harsh on this series as alot of other people. I thought "Rise of Lyric" was really bad and "Shattered Crystal" was better then most people give it credit for. I actually liked "Shattered Crystal" more then both versions of "Sonic Lost World" but I digress.

"Sonic Boom: Fire and Ice" is a sequel /follow-up to "Shattered Crystal' and is being developed by the same studio "Sanzaru Games." I have very little doubt that this will be a horrible game however this game should probably not have been made. The other two games didn't sell the best, the game store I got "Shattered Crystal in had only one copy and the Employee's didn't even know it was out, and the game has such a stigma attached to it. Within hour's of "Rise of Lyric" release it was being called one of the worst game ever made and that it is bad as "Sonic '06."












I personally don't think it's as bad as people make it out to be. It's definitely a bad game but I don't know about the worst game ever. I know the only reason it's getting made is to advertise show but making sub-par games, especially if they have the Sonic name attached to them, is just asking for trouble. Those fan's can be very aggressive if you don't make them their perfect Sonic game.

As for the game itself, it look's good. It won't be the best game ever made but it doesn't have to be. If you expect that out of game's your going to be let down every time. One legitimate complaint I do have is that they obviously reused assets from "Shattered Crystal," so I hope they try to make them distinct or we will end up with two games that are almost indistinguishable. I also hope they try to make more variety in stages and a bit more memorable music. Maybe some of that dubstep music that was in the original trailer for "Rise of Lyric" but for some reason you decided not to put in the game. Other then that try to keep an open mind.

--UPDATE--
I have found out that the show is on hiatus and the comic series is being cancelled after the Worlds Unite crossover. So there is even less of a reason for this game to exist. It's shame because the Comic was really good. At least when Ian Flynn was writing it.



No comments:

Post a Comment